Monday, December 8, 2008

The darkest hour...

Me: "What is that one thing that you would change if you could relive your entire life?"
Her: "Nothing, absolutely nothing. I'm happy with what I am, with what I've become."

And I could hear glass break. That sound in my ears was too loud to be mistaken. I went dumb.

Her: "What happened? Why are you silent?"
Me: "You know; If I had asked a stranger the same question, she would have said the same thing."
Her: "What does that mean?"
Me: "Nothing."

The glass was broken. Maybe I could pick up the pieces and join them back. But I didnt want to go into the trouble.
Why is glass so brittle?
Why do I let it break?
Why didn't I catch it?
Am I butter-fingers?

Such doubts crowd your mind. And you turn. And toss. You can't sleep. You aren't gonna do anything productive while awake. You are stuck. You are broke. You haven't broken up. But you aren't committed anymore. You don't know where you are going. You don't want to go anywhere. You don't wanna stay. You are at odds. With yourself. This is one of those times that men turn either philosopher or alcoholic. This is one of those times that you wake up. That darkest hour of the night before dawn. This is the final hurdle. This is the time that there is hope. That things will get better. From the south pole, every direction is north. It can only get better. If you get past this. IF.

Tomorrow remains to be seen. Today is what it is. The present. A Present.

No comments: